Monday, June 16, 2008

With These Rings

One afternoon last summer Mr. Pineapple and I were laying around the house being lazy when he asked, "so when the day comes, do you want to help pick out your ring?" My response was a quick, "no thanks, I love surprises and I trust you." I tried to forget the conversation because it was still pretty early in the relationship and I assumed he was asking for future reference, way future reference. Apparently, not so much. It wasn't long after this short exchange that Mr. Pineapple purchased my engagement ring.


He choice was perfect, a Gelin Abaci tension set rose gold solitaire with 26 little diamonds set in the band. I was simple yet very unique and, in my mind, perfect. Because of the unusual shape of the ring there were few options when it came to the wedding band.

Mr. Pineapple and I went to a local jeweler, Goldstock, who carried Gelin Abaci rings. Mr. P had a whole slew of options to choose from. He decided on a hammered rose gold band. I, on the other hand, just left my engagement ring in the hands of the jeweler who then sent it to Gelin Abaci in California to create a matching "shadow band." I really wasn't sure what the band would look like. I had images in my head of what I would do if I were a jeweler, but no actual images from GA.

My engagement ring was gone for six weeks, a very long six weeks. While it was MIA I wore one of two fakies from Claire's and googled the heck out of Gelin Abaci wedding bands trying to find someone with a similar ring. No such luck.

Finally, our rings were in and here is the result:
Since my band is not a complete circle the common symbolism does not really apply; "...the circle of a ring represents undying love and the continually renewed vows of the married couple. Circles have long been archetypes for not only timelessness, but also wholeness and homecoming." {source} That's ok though, unusual ring or otherwise, our love will still be timeless.

The one thing I truly did not expect during this whole process came after we picked up our rings. When Mr. Pineapple put his ring on I was overwhelmed with "oh my goodness, I have never seen him so handsome." It's true, I didn't want him to take it off. It looked so lovely, so perfect on his hand.

Did anyone else have a band made to match their engagement ring without seeing it first?

No comments: