Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Fresh Clay Flowers

I am so excited about the vendor we just booked! Not only is she my final vendor, but this could be my favorite wedding decision so far (sans saying yes to Mr. Pineapple).

Since Mr. Pineapple and I are not using real flowers for our centerpieces I was a bit torn about using them for the bouquets, boutonnières and corsages. I love love love flowers. How could I dare not have real flowers in my wedding?

Well, this is how:

Oh my goodness! Those flowers are not real! They are made out of clay by an artist in California named Diane Phillips of DK Designs Hawaii.

I stumbled upon her etsy store while browsing around a few blogs last week. I immediately sent her an email and asked if she would be able to create the flowers for our wedding. I didn't even give it a second thought. Since my centerpieces will be made out of paper, why not bouquets of clay?!

Here are the kickers 1: they cost the same as what I had budgeted for real flowers and 2: they will last forever.

So far, Diane has been an absolute joy to work with. She provided me with a quote and asked about some of my favorite flowers. I sent her the following inspiration images and color palette:

Although I have some idea of what I would like - vintage, a little rustic, muted - I want to leave as much up to Diane as possible.

She will be creating my bouquet, 5 bridesmaid's bouquets, groom's bout, 5 groomsman's bouts, 3 mom corsages and 3 dad bouts. Whew... she has her work cut out for her. In a few weeks she will have some sample flowers ready for me. I cannot wait to see what she comes up with!

They will probably be a bit heavy to carry and I know some of my more traditional guests will think this is crazy, but I am stoked.

What do you think? Anyone else not using real flowers in their bouquet?

No comments: