Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Fontastic!

Way back in the day when I wrote about some early invitation concepts a few readers asked about specific typefaces. So, in addition to answering their questions I thought it may be helpful to write about a few of my favorite typefaces for wedding invitations. The type style and face you or your designer chooses is going to depend on the look and style you are going for, so these are by no means the only typefaces that are appropriate, they are just a few that I think work well.

I've lumped them into three groups Sweet/Girly, Traditional and Offbeat. The names of the groups are a fairly arbitrary way to start to categorize them that I made up, so you might think a traditional one is offbeat. (you can click to enlarge the images)

The typefaces that I am calling Sweet and Girly I think would be great for a spring or summer wedding that is traditional and slightly modern.

Linoscript

Murray Hill

Wade Sans Light

Brighton Plain

Dorchester Script

Fling

Bickley Script


Here are the typefaces I am calling Traditional (and fancy):

Carpenter

Gravura

Mahogany Script Std

University

Academy Engraved

Artisan Roman

Bickhan Script - Shown with some swash capitals and alternates

Bodoni

Cancellaresca Script

The next set I am calling Offbeat, but some are more modern or retro:
Avenida

Bernhard Fashion

Huxley

Parisian

Rubino Sans - Fill

What are your favorite wedding typefaces?

No comments: