Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Wedding in a Week: The License

The morning after we decided to get married early, Mr. Pineapple and I headed to the Indiana, Pennsylvania courthouse. Armed with my camera and identification we were greeted by Jimmy Stewart and probably the only metal detector within 60 miles. (Jimmy Stewart is Indiana's claim to fame along with being the Christmas Tree Capitol of the World - possibly a self-proclamation.)

I have to admit, I always get slightly nervous when it comes to quizzes and they had a lot of questions for us. Luckily the hardest one was when they asked for Mr. P's occupation. So I said, "Well, on Weddingbee we call you Student Affairs Administration" and he said "Oh! That works." (The second hardest was spelling my parents' hometown of Loxahatchee correctly.)

Apparently we got enough of the questions right because they gave us this:
Can't you hear the angels singing? Look at that gold graphic. Fancy pants.

Inside the envelope was our Marriage Certificate. They gave it to us right away, but we were not allowed to us it for 72 hours. So, it is sitting next to my computer singing "I've got a golden ticket! I've got a golden chance to make my day!"

I don't know why people say weddings are expensive. Really all you need is a willing partner and this magical paper. The partner is free and the paper was only $30.

What was it like getting your marriage license?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok seriously? in california the license fee is $70. plus a civil ceremony is $93.